Sunday, August 26, 2007

Beauty, what the fuck is it?

So L.B. and I got a beautiful apartment in Long Beach today (just a few minor details to go)....and on the drive back up from Long Beach we saw the most amazing sunset. We just turned the corner around Ventura to Carpentenia, that spot where 101 suddenly meets the coast. Anyway, the whole postcard worthy scene was there before us, and there was absolutely no denying it, it was freakin beautiful. But later on it got me wondering about it a little bit (cause the drive is a little long)... why should that be beautiful when a something else is not? Note: I refrained from conjuring up some disgusting image because , well, I don't know why. Anyway, do you know what I mean? Is it hard wired somewhere to respond to expansive ocean and sunset purple orange clouds? Or is it something we've been taught to think is beautiful? If it's hard wired, why is it hard wired? What possible evolutionary benefit could be found in pastels?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What possible evolutionary benefit could be found in pastels?"

Excellent question. It's kind of weird, isn't it? I mean, I get why we think tiny things with big eyes are cute (so we don't kill them), but pastels? Weird. Maybe we're hardwired for Awe. It would explain a lot. :)

Anonymous said...

My theory is that we find pastels soothing to re-inforce the family/pack bond. These colors signal the end of the day when the family is to return from hunting or foraging and prepare to sleep together as a group.

Gospel Bob said...

OMG gretty, that makes nice sense! I subscribe to your theory. (I especially like the sleeping together as a group part, but for non-intellectual reasons.) I also love L.B.'s phrase "hardwired for awe"....sounds like part of a poem she should write.

Anonymous said...

Hardwired For Awe would be a good name for a band.

crse said...

Gospel Bob! You need to see Gret's show. Its all about this. Sort of.

Gospel Bob said...

Gret's show? I'm intrigued...and embarrassed for not knowing....

tanya said...

are you on acid? seriously. you don't have to answer out loud. just think it in my general direction. do you get sad when you walk on grass because you are bending it?

Anonymous said...

I. Heart. Sky.

Anonymous said...

I get sad, then I get mad at teh grass for yelling, then I start stomping in a possessed glee. Walking on rocks is easier.

Gospel Bob said...

skyCAT -- I wonder if this comment is out loud or in my head? What if you actually can hear my thoughts? That means you know about.....la la la la la.....

P.S. Sorry about calling you only "sky"...I thought you might have changed on purpose....

Gill_Smoke -- I can so see you jumping on the grass in possessed glee. Its a good thing your moustache scares away the children :)