Thursday, August 23, 2007

California and Boston Love

Things I love about California

1. Polite people. I don't care if they are not sincere in their hearts. All I know is that when the toll booth people take my money, they say thank you and smile. In New England they take your money, say nothing, and look at you in a way that says "drive away retahd cocksucka". How do they always know?

2. Queers queers queers! They are flambouyant and obvious and plentiful. You see, my problem is that I have no gaydar. Unless the wrists are flapping up a breeze and the lisps are leaving spittle drops in my ears, I have no clue! It wasn't that there weren't gays in Boston, I just couldn't distinguish them from anyone else.

3. Milk and honey, see land of. See queers.

4. Sunshine and temperate weather. I can go run around outside again! I don't even have to think about stifling humidity or nut crunching cold. Maybe a little rain. Or is that just my tears of joy?

5. The coastline, the redwoods, the Sierras, the joshua trees and the manzanitas. Where else does the geography change so dramatically and beautifully so fast? Maybe Utah, but it doesn't have the coast.

6. Mexican food. Hell, food in general. But especially the magic bean rice and meat combinations that endlessly please me.

7. A certain un-named couple who better not go to Texas.

8. Bill Murray. Okay, so he isn't strictly California, but I love him so.

Things I miss about Boston

1. Jason. Squirrel. Bad Idea/Inconvenient Jew. Iron Butterfly/Dirty Martini. The Gimlet. Achingly I miss them. Why can't they be in California?

2. The Indian Buffets. Oh god yes.

3. The thrift stores. People dress nice there, and give away nice things. I can't believe the things I scored there.

4. My TV. My big heavy manly HD TV. Sigh.

5. The Red Sox. I will be a fan for life, but I miss the city's throb of baseball obsession.

6. Summer barbeques. Nobody does em like Jason. Margeritas that could tranquilize a horse. Tequila shots. The best chicken you'll ever have. Corn from J.P. and herbs from Bad Idea's garden.

7. Bumper pool.....

Okay....this is making me too misty. Gotta roll.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm all misty too now. Sniff.

But I'm looking forward to coming up with more and more things to love in California... :)

(And I keep loving YOU more. So there.) :)

Crawlspace said...

I took a trip to California earlier this summer, and after a year in new york I was floor by the politeness. It was weird.

It was like people actually wanted to help you.

Anonymous said...

You left behind a big HDTV???

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. If the rockin'est pre-schooler in the world had to be chosen, it would definitely be The Gimlet.

Anonymous said...

I'll take the tofu burger with extra bacon.

Anonymous said...

Er, I just left a comment and it was eaten. I am unhappy about that.

- Margie

(P.S. If said comment really was eaten, I will leave another tomorrow.)

Gospel Bob said...

I'm sorry Margie! At night I've been participating in illegal blog fighting. My blog fights better if I don't feed it. But now I'm seeing that there are consequences....

Senor Smoke, you are most esoteric! Are you referring to my bisexuality perchance?

Tequila Fog, nice to hear from you! I think we should start the Gimlet fan club :)

Gretty, I actually managed to sell the tv just in time, but it was one of the more painful breakups of my life.

Hi crawlspace! Very nice to make your acquaintance.

LB, I can see you!

Anonymous said...

GB, I can see you too! Give me back some pillows.